Support Local, Support Small: Shop #MississaugaMade
by Chandra Robinson
When you need to find a special gift, or want to enjoy a fun day out, you can’t beat a stroll through local shops, and Mississauga has some of the best.
Make sure to visit these local small businesses on your next trip to Mississauga.
Take a Shopping Excursion in Port Credit
If you’re looking for a daytrip full of shopping and sightseeing, look no further than Port Credit Village. Easily accessible via transit and with lots of parking, you can come spend a day perusing unique boutiques and enjoy the picturesque marina.
A few of the many distinctive stores include:
- Impressionable Gifts: Featuring everything from jewellery, to ladieswear to décor, you might love the selection as much as you love the welcoming staff. Bonus: you can even find locally made goods, including some from Port Credit artisans.
- Canadian Outdoor Equipment:If you’re a fan of outdoor living, this is a must-stop shop! It has everything you need for camping, boating, hiking and more.
- Shaman Sisters: Whether you need to balance your energy or you just enjoy the fashionable crystal accessories, this will be a favourite for jewellery lovers and wellness enthusiasts. The store also carries a selection from Indigenous creators.
- Zest for Living: Not only does this local favourite have a variety of home décor and gifts, it also has a unique selection of party supplies you won’t find at big box stores.
Check out more store information and upcoming Port Credit events at the Port Credit BIA site.
Travel to Charming Streetsville
Just a short drive or train ride from Port Credit is the historic village of Streetsville. Come for the quaint storefronts, but stay for the amazing selection and incredible restaurants.
Some of the can’t miss stores include:
- Country Charm Mennonite Furniture: Featuring a mix of contemporary and rustic solid-wood furniture, this is a beautiful shop for furnishing your home or picking up the classic Canadian Adirondack chair. If you’re looking for a charming gift for the little in your life, ask about their handmade rocking horses.
- Crafted Décor: You’re sure to find more than a few gifts for everyone on your list in this store – if you don’t decide to keep them for yourself, that is. From their selection of eco-friendly goods to home décor, you’d be hard-pressed to leave this store empty-handed. Don’t miss their Canadian-made items including gourmet candy, candles and wellness gifts.
- Hobby Hobby Inc: A favourite of model-builders and RC vehicle buffs, Hobby Hobby Inc. is known as the best stocked hobby shop in Canada, so if you’ve got a hobby in mind, they’re sure to have what you need.
- Ladner’s Clothiers: A part of Streetsville for over 60 years, this menswear boutique has an air of sophistication and attention to service that you might think had been lost to the tailors of times past.
- The Tea Room: For even more historic charm, you can enjoy a light luncheon at the historic Robinson-Braye house, and you’ll find a selection of gifts to pick up on your way out.
There are many more small businesses in Streetsville for you to enjoy. Visit the Streetsville Online Marketplace to find them all.
More Shopping Options in Mississauga
Of course, if you’re looking for an upscale shopping experience, Mississauga also has some of the best shopping centres, including Square One , Erin Mills Town Centre, Dixie Outlet Mall and Heartland Town Centre, which feature all your favourite brands, from Apple to Nike, ZARA to Roots and everything in between.
There are so many shopping options in Mississauga, you’ll have to keep coming back in order to see them all. If you want to explore more local stores, be sure to check out #MississaugaMade’s marketplace, a directory of shops you can support in Sauga.